Man slumps, die, after altercation at liquor joint in Ondo

No Comments

Ondo city, headquarters of Ondo West Local Government area of the state was thrown into mourning on Wednesday following the death of a middle-aged man whose name was given as Gbenga Abayomi,  in a liquor joint located at Akinmarin street in the town.

 Although, the cause of the death of the man who until his death was a vulcaniser  has remained shrouded in mystery as at the time of filing this report, it was reliably gathered that the deceased shortly after a heavy downpour in the area has gone to a liquor joint to drink before he met his untimely death.

It was gathered from a resident of the street that while the late Abayomi was at the joint with others who were also drinking, an argument ensued on a political issue in the country.

The source added that while the argument was going on, another argument ensued between the deceased and the owner of the liquor joint, whose name was given as Mrs. Cecilia Akindolani, a 70-year-old woman.

The deceased who is said to be a regular customer at the joint  was said to have held the septuagenarian for some minutes, it was learnt that it took the intervention of other customers at the joint before the deceased could release the old woman.

It was further learnt that few minutes later, the deceased slumped and died, a development which made the septuagenarian to raise an alarm.

Meanwhile, the news of the death of the man has continued to generate controversy as people of the community, particularly those residing where the incident occurred gathered in groups discussing the development in hushed voices. They expressed varied opinions as to what could be the cause of the incident.

However, it was learnt that the news of the death of the man later brought spontaneous reactions as people believed to be his relatives, who were said to have suspected foul play rushed to the scene apparently to express their anger over the incident.

When contacted over the matter, the Divisional Police Officer in charge of Enuowa Divisional Police station, Mr. Isikanye Oladele, was said to have gone out of the station for surveillance activities.

Meanwhile, a senior police officer at the station who did not want his name mentioned confirmed the  information and explained that a septuagenarian was invited over the matter.

The police boss also disclosed that the family of the deceased have said that they do not have interest in any case and were made to swear to an affidavit of oath at the court while the corpse of the deceased has been released to the family for burial.

As at the time of filing this report, normalcy has been restored in the area which was deserted shortly after the incident occurred as people are now going about their normal businesses without fear.

Powered by Blogger.
back to top