AUTOMOBILE spare parts shops in Owo, Owo Local Government Area of Ondo State, on Tuesday, were razed by an inferno, destroying goods worth millions of Naira.
An eyewitness said no one could ascertain the cause of the inferno but said the owners of the shops watched helplessly as the fire which started in the early hours of Tuesday, razed down his shops.
According to the eyewitness, the shops at Ogbonomo area, in Ijebu Owo, belonged to one Alhaji Saliu Saanuolu, who was said to have been rushed to a hospital after the incident.
He explained that all efforts by the residents of the area to put off the fire were not successful.
Some of the items destroyed by the fire included tyres, sewing machines, car batteries of different brands and spare parts.
Speaking on the fire incident, the wife of the victim, Mrs Nike Saanuolu, explained that the fire incident was a mystery saying no one could explain the cause of the inferno.
She said "the shops were loaded with motor spare parts and other equipment were razed to ashes by the inferno. It is a painful moment for us as the shops were completely burnt.
"Nobody knows the cause of the inferno and it remains a mysteries to us."
She, however, appealed to the state government, NEMA, and other kind spirited individuals to come to the aid of her husband saying "our source of livelihood had been destroyed by the fire. I beg the government and public to come to the aid of my husband."
The state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), Mr. Femi Joseph, who confirmed the fire outbreak, described the incident as unfortunate and painful.
He, however, said no life was lost in the inferno while the command has begun an investigation into the incident.
"We are yet to know the cause of the fire because it happened early in the morning," Joseph said.