Ondo State Governor, Arakunrin Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, SAN, has directed his legal team to proceed to the Supreme Court to challenge the ruling of the Appeal Court that held that the service of originating summons to the National Secretariat of the All Progressives Congress (APC) instead of Akeredolu as the candidate was right.
The Court of Appeal sitting in Abuja on Monday had validated the service of originating summons filed by the first runner-up in the party's primary election, Mr Segun Abraham, to the APC National Secretariat in connection with the primary of the party won by Akeredolu last year September.
Akeredolu in a statement issued and signed by his Chief Press Secretary (CPS) Mr. Segun Ajiboye, said the ruling of the Appeal Court was being unnecessarily blown out of proportion as a result of ignorance.
The ruling was celebrated by Abraham's supporters across the state, claiming that the decision of the appellate court was a quit notice to the sitting governor.
The Governor has directed his lawyers to file an appeal at the Supreme Court against the ruling saying the decision of the appellate court does not call for celebration from the opposition's camp.
He explained that the Appeal Court ruling was on whether the service of the originating process on the APC secretariat in Abuja, instead of Akeredolu was right or not and wondered about the twist in the ruling by some people.
The statement read: "You will recall that Segun Abraham went to court to restrain INEC from recognising Governor Oluwarotimi Akeredolu as the governorship candidate of APC.
"Governor Akeredolu had appealed the ruling of Justice Nnamdi Dimgba of the Federal High Court of Nigeria, Abuja, who ruled that an application for interim injunction sought by Abraham be heard. The governor later took the matter to the Appeal Court, which gave the latest ruling.
"However, it is very important to note that the Court of Appeal ruling borders on whether the service of the Originating Process on APC secretariat in Abuja was proper service on Oluwarotimi Akeredolu. The substantive case is yet to commence. But, the Appeal Court held that the service was proper."
Meanwhile, Ondo Central Senatorial District Legal Adviser of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Barrister Titiloye Charles has debunked the rumour making round the town about the pronouncement of Appeal Court on the 2016 primary election of the APC in Ondo state.
Titiloye who spoke in a telephone chat with The Hope said the ruling is an interlocutory ruling in respect of an application which emanated from the Federal High Court on service of originating process.
He said the ruling is very straight forward without any ambiguity, noting that the Appeal Court said that the Governor was served and that the case should be reversed to the lower court for hearing.
According to him, "anybody that says the judgement is in favour of anybody is just deceiving themselves and they are gullible supporters .
"The case has not even come up for hearing , parties have not even concluded their pleading , the case is being handled by a competent senior lawyer, Akin Olujimi SAN, who we all know is equal to the task.
"Hearing has not started on the substantive matter, What led to Appeal is the issue of service", he concluded.